Lead Payroll Specialist
Location: Tucson, AZ
Our client is looking for a Lead Payroll Specialist to be responsible for coordinating and overseeing all aspects of the payroll function their Centers. This role will coordinate time and attendance and payroll processes, procedures and standards and develops strategies for continuous improvement of payroll operations for both the US and Chile. This position will leverage the candidate’s years of experience as a labor and payroll subject matter expert and play an integral role in the continued development of financial programs by recording, maintaining and updating operational procedures. The ideal candidate will ensure timely and accurate payroll processing that is in compliance with statutory regulations while providing a high level of customer service to all employees.
- Oversee and/or prepare Deltek Costpoint labor export file to import into Ultipro payroll system to calculate wages, taxes, deductions, garnishment, and other payroll related benefits
- Lead and prepare the bi-weekly and off-cycle payroll process as needed for special circumstances
- Lead and coordinate the timesheet corrections for multiple business units, respond to employee inquiries through company internal payroll mailbox
- Prepare payroll journal entries and reconcile payroll reports to general ledger accounts
- Directs and complies with state and federal tax withholding filings, social security taxes, and ensures payment of same
- Oversee and coordinate the semi-monthly 401k upload files to benefit vendor’s websites and reconcile with HR and Finance documents
- Oversee and coordinate with UltiPro to review and reconcile quarterly and annual tax filings to include but not limited to forms 940, 941, W-2, 1095
- Partner with HR and benefits in aligning and implementing process improvement related to payroll and benefits system and ensures checks and balances of employee compensation and data
- Support the annual 401k audit, workers compensation audit, Incurred Cost Submission, and other compliance reporting
- Creates and maintains the payroll policies and procedures guide for the organization
- Minimum 7 years of hands-on labor and payroll experience
- Proficient with Deltek Costpoint accounting system and Time and Expense module or a similar accounting system (Unanet or MS Dynamics)
- Experience processing payroll in a government contracting or project cost accounting environment
- Experienced processing payroll for international operations
- Must be detail oriented and have strong organizational/communication skills
- Knowledgeable with Service Contract Act and Davis Bacon payroll requirements
- Advance Excel skills (pivot tables and advanced formulas)
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving
- Ability to prioritize and manage multi-tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and ingenuity with the ability to effectively achieve organizational established goals and objectives
- Demonstrated ability to unfailingly exercise sound judgment and ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, customer service and collaborative team environment
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience with Ultimate Software’s UltiPro HCM tool
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience in a non-profit, scientific environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This work is mostly carried out in an office environment. Long periods of sitting may be required.
Given the international nature of their work, you may need to travel to the various observatory sites (Arizona, Chile, and Hawai’i) and other locations for business purposes.
They offer a mix-model workspace (office & virtual) and stimulating environments for all.
We also offer an excellent benefits package and competitive salary. Highlights:
- Health Benefits – Start first on the month following hire
- Retirement Options:
- 401(a) Money Purchase Pension Plan / 10% Employer Contribution
- 403(b) / Your own retirement contribution
- Paid Time Off:
- Vacation / Accrual of up to 24 days per/yr.
- Paid Sick Leave / 8 hour per/mo.
- Holiday Time / 10 days per/yr.