Senior Accounting Manager
Location: Tucson, AZ or Baltimore, MD
The Senior Accounting Manager is responsible for the day-to-day accounting operations to include accounts payable, cash management, payroll and general ledger. Manages the staff and the timely and accurate month-end close process to ensure all transactions are recorded properly. This position will also be assisting the Divisional Controller with complex accounting initiatives, including cost pool management and Deltek Costpoint enhancements.
- Oversee and manage the day-to-day accounting functions, including, but not limited to accounts payable, payroll, cash management, and general ledger.
- Support the monthly close process and ensure accounts are reconciled accurately and timely.
- Prepare, review, and analyze financial results to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Ensures timely payments of vendor invoices and expense vouchers and maintains accurate records and control reports.
- Review applicable accounting reports and accounts payable register to ensure accuracy.
- Ensure that internal controls and policies and procedures are in place and adhered. Training of operational staff on all finance related matters.
- Ensure timecard and payroll processing is timely and compliant including the reporting and compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes.
- Supervises and develop staff by managing performance, setting goals, providing ongoing training, and building strong employee relationships.
- Support year-end financial audit activities.
- Perform ad hoc analysis and other projects as requested.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 10+ years of AP/Payroll/full-cycle accounting experience required
- Must have a working knowledge of federal contracts and GAAP, and working knowledge of FAR, CAS, and DCAA requirements.
- Experience using Deltek Costpoint.
- Intermediate or greater Microsoft Excel skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with a dedication to driving and achieving results.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and ability to identify and resolve problems within tight timeframes.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, customer service and collaborative team environment
- CPA or CMA designation
- Experience managing international accounting operations
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience with UltiPro Payroll
- Experience in a non-profit, scientific environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This work is mostly carried out in an office environment. Long periods of sitting may be required.
Given the international nature of our work, you may need to travel to the various observatory sites (Arizona, Chile, and Hawai’i) and other locations for business purposes.
We offer a mix-model workspace (office & virtual) and stimulating environments for all.
We also offer an excellent benefits package and competitive salary. Highlights:
- Health Benefits – Start first on the month following hire
- Retirement Options:
- 401(a) Money Purchase Pension Plan / 10% Employer Contribution
- 403(b) / Your own retirement contribution
- Paid Time Off:
- Vacation / Accrual of up to 24 days per/yr.
- Paid Sick Leave / 8 hour per/mo.
- Holiday Time / 10 days per/yr.