Aviation RF Spectrum Engineer
Location: Annapolis, MD-Currently Remote
Our client is seeking a full-time spectrum engineer to support the US aviation industry in RF engineering analysis and related regulatory work. This is a full time, permanent position.
The candidate will be required to provide engineering judgement on interactions between commercial wireless aviation systems (communications, navigation and surveillance) and external RF systems. This engineering expertise will need to be applied towards regulatory issues, developing of technical position papers, and debating the merits of these at conferences with a large number of diverse participants (training will be provided). Additional support roles for the individual will also include engineering advice on VHF frequency assignments, monitoring of aviation technical standards, and support in the management of a small corporate IT contract.
The individual will report to the Director of Engineering Services and will be required to travel regularly to domestic and international conferences as a company representative on accredited US delegations. Such work will also involve the candidate representing the company at industry events, needing a personality that is able to actively work in diplomatic and social environments. The candidate will need to fit into a small company environment, able to work in a close team while also operating independently with unusual hours when needed.
The position is intended for engineers with a minimum of 5 years experience and an engineering background that includes spectrum management and wireless RF principles. The position is to be trained/shaped for long-term development and progression.
The full-time position with benefits will have the following duties:
· Assist with technical and regulatory analysis of the RF interaction between commercial aviation systems and other RF systems.
· Representing US aviation interests in technical and regulatory forums nationally and internationally on a regular basis (potentially up to 20 weeks a year depending on candidate’s progression and meeting demands).
· Monitor relevant RTCA, ICAO, EUROCAE, and AEEC standards committees for spectrum considerations of commercial aviation.
· Support development of assignment criteria for aeronautical VHF and HF frequencies.
· Review and be familiar with ITU-R, FAA, ICAO, and FCC regulatory texts
· Day to day management of support contract for small corporate IT system and networks.
· Support the US Aeronautical Frequency Committee’s activities and meetings
Essential candidate qualities:
· A bachelor’s degree in an engineering subject with wireless RF communications theory.
· 5 years employment with some experience of spectrum management and/or frequency coordination.
· Must be a US Citizen and eligible to become full members of accredited US delegations to the ITU, CITEL and ICAO in accordance with section 7 of the U.S. International Telecommunication Advisory Committee General Guidance Document.
· Able to present and successfully debate technical positions with large groups of diverse and experienced professionals, explaining engineering principles to non-engineers in a confident manner.
· Diplomatic and sociable personality, interacting with international delegates and companies at professional social gatherings.
· Work as part of a team and also remotely as an individual during extended travel periods away from the office.
· Competent with computers and information handling.
· Able to travel internationally and domestically as an individual, by air to any country, on a regular basis without restriction.
Highly desirable candidate qualities:
· Experienced with aeronautical communication systems, avionics, and network planning.
· Experienced with deployment of VHF radio systems.
· Experienced with RF propagation models and antenna siting requirements.
· Experienced with spectrum management software and path profile analysis.
· Experienced with aeronautical communications licensing (understanding and implementing FCC, FAA, ICAO and ITU-R Radio Regulations).
· Familiarity with basic IT and network management.
The position is a full-time post (40-hours a week) offering a competitive salary (negotiable dependent on the candidate’s suitability, experience and qualifications). Additionally, the position also includes excellent medical/dental insurance, 401k benefits, and vacation allowance.