FosterThomas, Inc. is a leading Human Capital Management Firm. We are assisting our client in their search for an Controller. Our client is a well established Construction company in southern Anne Arundel County. This opportunity offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. This position is full time and permanent.
The Controller will supervise the day-to-day operations of the accounting department; manage the monthly financial closing process; prepare monthly financial statements and various related and supporting reports; oversee job costing; and make a variety of payroll and other regulatory filings. Under the direction of the President, the Controller will assess workflow and reporting structure, make improvements, build a strong and efficient team, perform job cost analysis, and provide high-level financial reporting. Responsibilities include:
- Oversees the monthly account reconciliations to ensure proper recording and distribution of entries.
- Prepares the monthly financial statements and supporting reports
- Performs financial statement fluctuation analysis, job cost analysis and expense review
- Monitors compliance of accounting procedures with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) requirements
- Maintains the set of process narratives and flowcharts that document the Company’s system of internal controls over financial reporting
- Responds to the requests of internal and independent auditors for explanations, reports and other data needed in connection with annual audits of internal control systems and financial statements and the preparation of income tax returns
- Completes quarterly and annual payroll tax returns (including W-2s and 1099s)
- Oversees the completion and filing of sales & use tax returns and annual personal property tax returns
- Reviews and verifies the recording and accuracy of direct and allocated job costs
- Prepares annual budgets and updates quarterly forecasts
- Security systems administrator for Sage 300 CRE
- Reviews weekly payroll for accuracy
- Special projects as assigned
The Controller must have a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field; five plus years of general ledger and financial reporting experience; a positive attitude and a “team player” approach to management of staff; a commitment to a regular and dependable work schedule; effective communication skills, both verbal and written; ability to work independently; excellent organizational and problem-solving skills; demonstrated experience in financial analysis; thorough knowledge of accounting procedures and internal control systems; and advanced ability with Microsoft Office including Excel and Word. Experience within the construction industry using percentage of completion method is required. Advanced knowledge of Sage 300 Construction & Real Estate (Timberline) is a definite plus.
EEO Statement: FosterThomas is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to equal employment opportunities in recruitment, hiring, promotion, training, compensation and disciplinary action with regard to the terms and conditions of employment. FosterThomas does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, color, age, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity genetic information, sexual orientation, or sex, including pregnancy and childbirth, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic